Pages

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Who Do I Write To to Make Sure Mrs. Harris-Perry Remains on My T.V Screen?



I have to admit that as much as I love to read, I rarely read long, drawn out articles regarding race or politics and it's on a very rare occasion that I read non-fiction. I read just enough for me to grasp the point of the article, then move on. The major news stations: CNN, MSNBC and FOX (when I just want to get my nerves worked up into a tizzy) are a major part of my remote control rotation as well; but once I catch the major headlines, I'm moving on to HGTV, Food Network or one of the Housewives.  This was until I discovered Mrs. Melissa Harris-Perry. I now feel like I have to step my political, cultural and "all around awareness" game up.

My interest in her started when she received a brief mention in either Essence or Ebony; from which I can't recall since I read both of them the minute I take them out of my mailbox. I discovered she was a professor at Tulane University located in my hometown and thought to myself, "Okay, I need to remember her name."

Well, it's a little hard for me not to remember her name since she is all over the place these days. She penned the book Sister Citizen Shame, Stereotypes, and Black Women in America (which is next on my book to-do list) and wrote an extensive article for Ebony Magazine about the challenges President Obama faces in the 2012 election.  She also served as a guest host on the Rachel Maddow show on MSNBC , (rocking long "kinky" twists by the way).  I guess she impressed the bigwigs so much, she landed her own show on the network which will begin airing in February. She did  those things and more all while maintaining her day gig.

So, if you don't know who this lady is, please visit her site or just Google her name and browse through the plethora of articles that appear.

Here's her most recent visit on Comedy Central's "The Colbert Report."


The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
Melissa Harris-Perry
www.colbertnation.com
Colbert Report Full EpisodesPolitical Humor & Satire BlogVideo Archive



2 comments:

Malcolm said...

A couple of weeks ago, I was saying to my brother-in-law that MSNBC should give Melissa Harris-Perry her own show. About a week later, he sent me an email telling me the news. Because she did such an outstanding job filling in for Rachel Maddow and Lawrence O'Donnell, I wonder if her new show's format will be similar to theirs (where they fly solo for the most part) or if it'll be like "Now with Alex Wagner" and "Up w/ Chris Hayes" (in which the host is joined by 4 panelists). Either way, I can't wait to see what MHP does with her own show.

Unknown said...

I will be looking forward to February as well. I haven't tuned in to MSNBC much lately, but I will definitely be a regular viewer again.