Pages

Monday, January 9, 2012

I Would Love to Travel, But...





Every year I pledge to gather up my lil homies, pack a couple of duffle bags and go on "real" family vacation. Not a long, boring road trip where they sleep the entire way and my only company is the radio.  I mean a trip where we get out of our comfort zone and experience what the world has to offer.  Year after year has passed by and I have yet to make the pledge a reality.

I know we can go on the typical family vacation like hitting up one of the Disney spots, Niagara Falls or the Grand Canyon, but I want my crew to think beyond the U.S.  As a single mother with two growing boys, I didn't think a vacation overseas would be doable.  I watch House Hunters International and the Travel Channel, and I just couldn't see how someone like me would be able to become a foreign traveler. However, after three weeks of blog lurking and stalking I found that many of us are expanding our horizons and getting out of dodge. I also have to admit though, the thought of traveling overseas alone with with two children is a little scary as well, but I'm sure my frazzled nerves will calm down after a little research.

So, I put together a list of places I would love for us to visit while they still think it's cool to hang out with me.     (Actually, times running short with the 15 year old, but he will have to deal with it.)

#1 London, England - This was the first place that flew out of Baby Bubba's mouth (my 10 year old).  "They have the Ben 10 ride there," he tells me. Well, alrighty then. The whole "unpredictable weather" thing is a little turn off for me, but I'm the one who suggested seeing the world so I will have to suck it up.  According to about.com, July and August are peak tourist season, so we shall see.

#2 Paris, France - The place I imagined I would travel to with my M.O.M.D; however in the meantime the kids will have to do. If you check out this jazzy site Disney put together, they actually provide itineraries according to age.

#3 Madrid, Spain - I'm just being selfish again because this another dream destination, but it seems the kids may get more out of this destination than I do. There are two theme parks in Madrid: Parque Warner Madrid and Parque de Atracciones Theme Park in Madrid. I figure you dangle those two hot spots over their heads they wouldn't mind checking out a couple of Picasso's with you.

#4. Amsterdam, The Netherlands - (Isn't that picture just sexy?) Yea, I know, the red light district and the "coffee shops" where you can purchase a little herb are the hot spots.  I figure since there are resident children, then there must be some family friendly action there as well. Check out iamsterdam.com. They mention a dungeon. We may have to check this out first.

#5. Costa Rica - A good friend of mine posted a video of himself zip-lining through the rain forest. My first thought was, "I have to go to there." Come on now, son. How could the children "not" want to do that? Click here for the official travel site.

#6. Italy - They produce guys like this over there. Need I say more. Oh, the children! I found this cool site, Ciao Bambino. It's a family friendly trip planning site with reviews and destination planning.

and last on this list, but we won't stop there if the Lord says the same (did I get that right?):

# 7. Australia - One word. NEMO. Well, that's not a reason to go, but wouldn't it be cool to spend Summer (our Winter) down under? I see a Christmas/New Year's vacation sometime in the future. Got this little info here.

I know being a single parent can be hard on the pockets; but if we want something bad enough, we will do what we have to do to get it. Cut back on some of those bottles of Moscato. Only hit the club during happy hour. Do you really need that many pair of stilettos or expensive sunglasses? Really? A buzz from some good tasting wine last a few hours, whereas a trip to another country will give your children something to talk about for the rest of their lives. I'm just saying.

Free your mind, and the rest will follow.  - EnVogue.




photo credits: http://flic.kr/p/9pXvSt , http://flic.kr/p/8P9D6Khttp://flic.kr/p/8EoC6Bhttp://flic.kr/p/67NF7L http://flic.kr/p/8YZY3Ghttp://flic.kr/p/4sBtFghttp://flic.kr/p/5Jhhfe

2 comments:

Sabrina said...

Hi Shantel - You're right, as a single mom I was so busy staying afloat that I didn't think about outer U.S. vacations. I'm sure my inability to keep up with shoes one state over played a part in the subliminal decision.

I think your kids are the perfect age to enjoy traveling abroad and now you've got me thinking about it. I'm especially interested in Italy's "merchandise". ;-)

mauishopgirl said...

Your list is like mine! Except I've always wanted to go to Japan too but now is definitely not the right time for that trip. Would love to eat and shop in the country my grandfather is from.