Pages

Monday, January 2, 2012

Mr. Bill Collector...My mama said, "She's not here."


Musical accompaniment is required for this post. Hit play above.

(I'm about to keep it real, because that's all I know how to be.)

Well, here we are in the beginning of a new year but with the same old bills. I consider January the recovery month, because I usually robbed Peter to pay Paul during the holidays and will need to ask Peter for an extension when all the festivities are over.

Like many single moms, I make this pledge in the beginning of the year to get my finances in order. Most of us usually find ourselves with more month at the end of the money and can't figure out how we got to that point. Well, (and I can only speak for myself) I know why, no budget. A budget is like a wealthy man, I never had one.  I've had very good intentions in the past, and may start off real strong for about a week or two, but too many trips to Pizza Hut, XBox Live points for the boys and picking up things "I've always meant to try" at Wal-Mart kill it. I then spend the rest of the month giving my caller i.d the side-eye whenever the phone rings.

I'm pretty sure a really good budget can save myself from a ton of stress and keep me from pondering the thought of applying for a "waitress" position at the local dancing girls spot. (Not like you haven't thought about it) 

So, let's make 2012 the year we really get our "ish" together. When you find yourself "hood rich" (a term my sister uses to describe a lump sum you may receive like an income tax refund check), pay off a bill, get your paycheck out of lay-a-way (pay day loans are the devil), don't hit the mall or purchase that iPad right away (which is a hard one) and put some away (my biggest challenge).

Please share your tips for keeping your head above water while in the struggle. I need them.






5 comments:

Sherri @ Woman's Best Friend said...

Happy New Year!

I just found your blog and am going to catch up in here. I like this post --- have you ever heard of or used mint.com? I use it for online budgeting and find it helpful. It is initially overwhelming to set everything up but once you get through the set up, it can be a great tool.

Look forward to following!

Unknown said...

Hi Sherri. I will be visiting mint.com right away. Thanks for visiting and Happy New Year.

Unknown said...

I have used mint.com. Whatever system you will use is THE best system! Bravo to you! I was a single mom I know exactly what you are talking about!

Unknown said...

Nannette, thanks for stopping by.

Anonymous said...

I have never responded to a blog and am not a computer savoy blogger, but I will be checking you out as often as possible. This is a wonderful idea for all the single mothers of the world! Good Luck.