Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Hold On To Some of That Enthusiasm For These Too...

Unless you were living in a cave during this past week, than I'm sure you've heard that this was the film Red Tails opening weekend.  I really appreciate George Lucas' work.  If it wasn't for him there wouldn't be a Star Wars.  If it wasn't for Star Wars, then the guys behind Family Guy would not have written the best parody ever. (Which is quoted often in my little household. "Something, Something, Something...darkside.")

But I digress.

Now that everyone is "going on and on" like George Lucas remade the six part epic mini-series which was Roots, I just hope we can show that same excitement when these smaller budget films about black folks have their time to shine.

Let me hip you some films being showcased at the 2012 Sundance Festival this week.

First on deck, Red Hook Summer by film vet Spike Lee

Movie Site
The basics: It's about a young man who leaves Atlanta to spend the summer with his preaching, "save your soul" grandfather in Brooklyn U.S.A.

Reasons to check it out: Clarke Peters, you know the guy who played Lester in The Wire and Big Chief Albert Lambreaux in Treme, is the grandfather. Plus, Spike Lee is bringing Mookie from Do The Right Thing back.


Next up, LUV by new filmmaker Sheldon Candis. Here's a scene from the movie, check it out.



The basics: It's about the relationship between an 11-year old boy and his uncle played by Common.

Reasons to run to the theater to see it: It's about the relationship between an 11-year old boy and his uncle played by Common! Plus, let's hope we get a chance to show this up and coming filmmaker some love.


And last (for today that is) on my list of  "can't wait to support" movies: Middle of Nowhere directed/written by Ava DuVernay.



Basics: It's a tale about a woman who becomes a prison wife and has to hold it down while her husband serves eight years.

Reasons to show it some love: The lead actress, Emayatzy Corinealdi, is absolutely gorgeous and...

This guy, right here, Omari Hardwick plays the husband. 
Where I found the photo
Well, those are not the only reasons, but it helps. This film was written and directed by a woman of color, so you know that goes without saying; I'm obligated to see it, of course.

If this peaked your interest, you can find the list of black films premiering at the festival here.

In the meantime, I guess I will hop on the bandwagon and see what the Red Tails extravaganza is all about.
But not until Monday, when the theater's practically empty and I won't look weird going alone. Plus, I can chomp on chicken nachos as loud as I please, thank you very much.

2 comments:

Ann said...

I want to see Middle of Nowhere - looks good! Also Red Hook Summer!

mauishopgirl said...

These all sound great, thanks for the picks! Can't wait until they come out on Sundance or hopefully Netflix (there used to be a time where I was up on new films...so completely out of it now, my new finds are usually years old! so I appreciate help!).

Omg, Omari is hot!