Pages

Friday, February 10, 2012

Lawd Have Mercy.. This Done Made Me Miss Home

Destination U.S.A.: New Orleans
CNN Article

I'm browsing through CNN just minding my own business and ran across this here.  That picture you see above.  An over-stuffed shrimp po-boy. Dressed. If you are a native New Orleanian you know what I mean and understand why this creation from heaven deserves recognition.

It goes beyond the po-boy though. This is just one of the many things I miss about my hood.  Mardi Gras, King Cakes, beignets, Jazzfest, drive-thru daquiri shops, snowballs, speaking to people you don't know, passing by my mama and 'nem.

Yea, I know New Orleans gets a bad rap due to the violence and corruption and what-not; but I really don't want to hear "nothing from nobody" unless they were born and raised or have lived there most of their life.

It's ironic that I have this "don't talk about my city" attitude, but refuse to move back; but don't worry about all of that. Just know that the N-to-the-O is still a wonderful place to visit. (Just ask the folks that put on the Essence Fest every year. They know what time it is.)

No comments: