Pages

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Bucket List

Bucket-B/W by lady_lbrty
Bucket-B/W, a photo by lady_lbrty on Flickr.
This past Valentine's Day, I decided to invite a good girlfriend of mine to go out and have a couple of drinks instead of sitting at home wondering if my 2013 Lover's Holiday will be just as dateless as my 2012 V-Day. My equally dateless friend said "Where and what time?" and we met up at nearby sports bar. (Which turned out to be the "Land of Reject Valentines", but I digress)

Anywho, in between a couple of laughs and shots of Three Olives "Cake" Vodka (which is delicioso) she shared with me something her dad told her during one of their conversations about life's goals and whatnot; "I know you are living the length of your life, but make sure you are living the depth of your life." Go 'head Pops. Of course I Googled it and it's similar to a quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson ~ "It's not the length life, but the depth of life."

So many of us are racing through our days on earth trying to achieve more than what we or the next person may have, that we rarely simmer down and embrace what we've already accomplished, pursue what we "really" want to do or do something with real meaning. Something that will leave your mark on this crazy world. (I know I blog on issues like this on a regular, but I need this reminder every now and again.)

The combination of the Emerson phrase and the passing of the incomparable Ms. Whitney Houston, forced me to ask myself: Do I really have a bucket list? I mean, I have a fantasy wish list of things that will never happen in my lifetime, (like, starring in a Broadway musical written and produced by Tyler Perry and directed by Spike Lee), but I really need to make a list of attainable goals beyond the normal all day, everyday stuff. It's time to get specific.

What have you done to make sure the items on your "Do or Die" list are checked off? (No, really, what?)

1 comment:

Debbi said...

I really, really, REALLY want to run a marathon. In order to do that I need to:

1. Lose a bunch of weight
2. Get a divorce

I've run three half-marathons and a 10-mile race. My husband watched a man in his early 30s collapse and die at the finish line of the 10-miler. He has since discouraged me EVERY TIME I start talking that marathon crazy-talk.

Actually I think if I accomplished the first criteria, he'd be on board. I guess I should move the weigh-loss goal up the list. Heh.