Pages

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Give Me That Thug Love!


For someone who has Lil Wayne's Carter IV, Watch the Throne and YoungBloodz featuring Lil' Jon in constant rotation on my music player and will watch movies like King of Paper Chasin' in a heartbeat, I am a huge, bourgeois book snob. I'm one of those people who would literally turn my nose up at the so called "urban fiction" that is displayed in Wal-mart's book section. I mean who wants to read an entire book about some girl from the streets who falls in love with a drug dealer, blah, blah, blah.  The Coldest Winter Ever by Sister Souljah (which is da bomb) was the closest I came to reading anything similar and that's where it stopped.

Well, I finally got around to using a Barnes & Noble gift card I received for Christmas and ordered these books:

The Loom by Shella Gillus. The type of book I normally read because I love to read historical fiction. Specifically any story set during antebellum slavery to 1950's or 60's. Couldn't explain why, but I get all caught up.
The Loom
link
Gathering of Waters by Bernice McFadden. After J. California Cooper this is one of my all-time favorite authors. This woman could re-write Green Eggs and Ham and I would read it.

Gathering of Waters
link


Ok so, I started reading The Loom this weekend when I ran across the book White Lines by Tracy Brown.

White Lines
link
 I cannot put this book down. I done left a southern plantation in 1847, took it the streets of New York in the 90's and can't find my way back. Yes, the main character is from the projects, was getting beat down by her step-father, is hooked on crack and...(ok, I won't ruin it for those who plan to read it). Let's just say, the book has 496 pages and I am only on page 97. I feel like I've watched an entire season of The Wire after the first couple of chapters. Love it!

I don't know yall, it might be hard for me to go back and try to read the copies of Toni Morrison's Love or Love in the Time of Cholera that I've been meaning to get around to after "slumming" it for a couple of days.

**now adding other books from Triple Crown Publications to Amazon wish list. A Hustler's Wife, A Hustler's Son...the list goes on**

No comments: