Pages

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Finding My Niche

Henry David Thoreau said this. 


Well, this is my last official week as a resident of Dallas, TX. While it's been pretty nerve-racking this last couple of weeks, I am totally excited about the move.  Being jobless, not so much. In all of my 40+ years of living, I am doing something I've never done. I am literally quitting my job and moving back to my hometown with not so much as a potential place of employment in sight.

The old reliable, follow the rules, "does-everything-right" me is scared out of her mind. This new "just-wing-it," have faith and "take-a-chance-for-once" person I have become has a slew of ideas of how to make this the opportunity to do something she's always wanted to do. Get my degree. Become a full-time blogger (it scares me to declare myself one, but ok).  Write that urban, romance, coming-of-age, historical fiction novel I've been dreaming about since I discovered the fanstastical world of books. Start another small business.

The bottom line is, I need to come from under the cloud of self-doubt and finally admit that I deserve to do whatever it is I strive to do. I kill my dreams before I even get a chance to place action behind them.

I recently read a post on a blog I quietly stalk, Allthemanylayers.com, that really resonated with me. It forced me to step back and take a long, hard look at how I self-sabotage any idea I am initially excited about. And don't get me started on the whole procrastination issue.

So... I have decided to no longer come up with excuses why something won't work, take the initiative to do something I want to do and STICK TO IT!


No comments: