Pages

Friday, May 30, 2014

What is Lee Daniels doing right now?

I'm asking this because I need him to direct a movie for me.

I've been meaning to getting around to reading John Grisham's Sycamore Row for awhile now. It's been hanging around my Kindle since November hidden among my guilty pleasure novels like K. Elle Collier's My Man's Best Friend or Daaimah S. Poole's Another Man Will (which I have yet to read by the way, but I'm sure we will discuss later), but I finally decided to start reading it two days ago.

Get it here


Okay.. I haven't finished the book, but I felt compelled to stop and express my thoughts so far. I am still in the beginning phase of this novel, you know the part of the book where you are introduced to the major players, but I can sense a "book-to-movie" when I read one.

This is where I need Lee Daniels' help. (Now I know this man doesn't know me from Adam..but allow me to dream for a little bit) If you don't know who Mr. Daniels is; remember The Butler? Precious? Yea.. that guy.

Only Lee would be able to pull this one off. A old, wealthy white guy kills himself in Mississippi and leaves the majority of his estate to his poor, black housekeeper?! Doesn't leave a nickel to his grown children?! Oooh hunty, let the drama commence.



I can already see Matthew McConaughey coming back to take over his role as Jake Brigance (I know it's been 18 years since Time to Kill, but he's been using that Mary Kay's Time Wise or something because the dude looks good).  Seth Hubbard (the rich fella that causes all of the brou-ha-ha) would be played by an old stand-by like Bruce Dern  (this guy right here) and of course Ms. Lettie would need to be brought to life by the incomparable Viola Davis.
Only Lee would be able to capture the full grittiness of the dirty south where folks still live on the "black side" of town. Where people sit on porches and everybody knows everybody or knows somebody that knows everybody.  Maybe I should DM Mr. Daniels on Instagram with my idea. Put that little bug in his ear. Should I start a Facebook page? Whatcha think?

Make time for a little reading and enjoy your weekend!

Tel









No comments: